Sunday, November 18, 2012

Minestrone Soup

So lately it seems like I have not really loved the new recipes I have been trying. I keep finding delicious looking things in cookbooks and on pinterest but nothing is really what I was hoping it to be. But I found a delicious and super easy recipe for Minestrone soup when I was at my sister Rachel's. I don't remember the recipe exactly but here is how I have been making it:

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. of sausage
1 can of diced or stewed tomatoes
1 can of beef broth
4 cups of water
2-3 carrots
2 celery stalks
1/4 C white or yellow onion
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 TB parsley
1/2 TB basil
1 tsp garlic powder
A few dashes of chili powder
1 TB sugar

In a large pot combine the water, broth and tomatoes and cook on medium heat. Cook the sausage until brown and then drain. Cut up the carrots, celery, and onions. Combine the sausage, carrots, onions, celery, and the seasonings to the pot. Cook on medium heat for 20 min. Then add the following ingredients:

1 can kidney beans
1 can green beans
1 C elbow noodles (whole grain if you want to be healthy)

Cook uncovered on medium heat for 30 min. Then you are done!

I love this soup and even better Sam loves it. It takes a good hour to make but it is super easy. I love it because I usually have all of the ingredients already so I don't have to buy anything special at the store. It makes your whole house smell so good, and it is super hearty. The best of all (besides the sausage) it is really healthy with a lot of vegetables and beans. So next time it is cold and you just want some warm soup, I would recommend this one. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe you remembered it that well from making it just once at my house. You were pretty close. I think I will post the real recipe on our recipe blog, just in case you want it. It's from Celia Jolley's recipe book. I almost got it for you for you wedding, but I waited too long to order it and it wouldn't have gotten there in time. It is my favorite recipe book because everything is super delicious, yet easy and made from pretty normal ingredients. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I loved it. I am sure I am missing something, but it still tastes delicious. I really like it because you don't have to go out and buy weird seasonings. I usually have everything already. You should post the real recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete