Saturday, November 17, 2012

Getting Crafty

So ever since I started using pinterest I have been way into crafts. And when I say way into crafts I mean I have a punch of pins that I hope to do one day. I have actually done very few things. But I have a lot of hopes and dreams for making my little home cute and creative. Now that Christmas is just around the corner I have been wanting to make a new wreath for my door. Yesterday I started to come down with a little cold, so what better thing to do on a Saturday then get my craft on (it's better than cleaning right?). So here are two wreaths I have made for super cheap. If I can do it anyone can.

The first is a Fall wreath that I was inspired to do by my sister in law Debi, who makes super cute things. I used a combination of her wreaths and a few different ideas i saw on pinterest.

Supplies: Burlap (left over from our wedding), a straw wreath form, a few scraps of fall colored fabrics, and some hot glue.

I kept the plastic on the straw wreath because you don't even see it. Basically just buy the cheapest wreath form you can find. Then I cut about 8-10 strips of burlap that were about two feet long. As I wound the burlap around the wreath I glued the burlap to the back of the wreath. I did about two layers because I didn't want any of the straw or plastic to show through. Once I had a good layering of burlap I sewed little yo-yos to look like flowers. If you want to know what those are then go here for an awesome tutorial. You could also do rolled fabric flowers but I like the yo-yos. Once I was done I just glued them onto the wreath and glued a little button on the middle of each yo-yo. Here is the finished product.

 


This wreath probably cost me about $10 and took about two hours to make. It is simply but I like simple.

The next wreath is for Christmas. I found some grapevine wreaths at Target for $2.50 each and have been waiting to make this wreath since the beginning of October.
Supplies: Grapevine wreath, fake berries on wire, and green spray paint.


First I spray painted the wreath green. You could just leave it brown but I wanted to make sure it looked like a Christmas wreath so I wanted the whole red and green look. Then I bought some Christmas berries that were on sale for 50% off at Michael's. I cut the bottom wire stem of each branch off before I wrapped ii on the wreath.


I pushed the end of the berry stem into the wreath. You could maybe use glue, but I didn't think it was necessary as long as you stuck the stem in far enough. Then you just form the berries to the shape of the wreath. I used the cut off stems to help secure the rest of the berry branch. I just wound it around a part of the stem and stuck the ends into the wreath. Then you just repeat the process until the wreath is covered. I ended up using 3 berry branches.


This is the finished product. Again it is just simple but definitely says Christmas.


 

The Christmas wreath cost me about $10.50 and I have left over berries and spray paint. I like these wreaths because they are cute and crafty but they are also a little more modern. Sometimes it is nice to skip the glitter and giant plaid bows of the 90's. Happy Saturday everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, look at you go! I've pinned loads of stuff on Pinterest and have yet to make even one of them :)

    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete