Wednesday, November 7, 2012

And then it was quiet

Today is the first day in a long time that I have not had to listen to large machinery, jackhammers, drilling, large trucks and strange men's voices outside of my apartment. For the last month and a half the outside of our apartment complex has been a construction zone. We thought something was up when a large pile of dirt appeared and they cut down all the trees. What is weird is that our landlord never once told us what the heck was going on. Our neighbor told us we had to move the stuff from our front porch before they tore our all the old concrete. So step by step all the sidewalks and porches were taken out and new concrete was poured. The worst part was when they were jackhammering right outside my door. I seriously thought my walls were going to fall down. They just barely finished the concrete yesterday. Now there is just a huge field of dirt where the grass used to be. But it was actually quiet today! I wonder if they will put grass in before it snows? If they don't it will just be an awesome mud pit all winter long. Why they didn't do this during the summer, I have no idea. Here is what it has looked like out our window for a while.

This is what things looked like for about a month.

And this is how we had to get into our apartment when they poured the concrete. It was secretly kind of fun.

 Now all the concrete is in and the machines are quiet. I wonder what it will look like in the end? I am just glad it's almost over.

3 comments:

  1. kayla. i'm pretty sure those are the same apartments jae and i lived in. which apartment are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe would have LOVED to live in your apt. during all the wreckage, especially with the addition of a cool board walk ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara, we live in C2. They are pretty small, but perfect for Sam and I. Pete, seriously. It would have been every little boy's dream. He would have just stared out the window all day. When my nieces were over they did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete