Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Thoughts on Pregnancy: Halfway There!

Sam and I had our 20 week ultrasound two weeks ago (as mentioned in my previous post) and I feel like I should probably spend a little more time getting my thoughts out on our experience. As I also stated before we are expecting a little boy! We are so excited! I was so nervous for our ultrasound but I honestly did not care if it was going to be a boy or a girl. Isn't it funny how everyone asks you that question? "Do you want a boy or a girl?" I just want to say, what does it matter? If I said I wanted a girl and then it was a boy am I going to be disappointed? Or the other way around? I feel like it is a weird question that EVERYONE asks. I guess it just comes with the territory. Well Sam and I were both super nervous, but mostly I was just nervous about him being healthy. I think ultrasounds are amazing. Seeing the brain, the heart, all his legs, arms, hands, and feet. We saw his nice full lips and even some of his fingers. Everything looks healthy and normal so far.

Then came that moment towards the end of our appointment (of course they wait until the end) that we got to find out the gender. At first baby boy was pretty shy and had his legs crossed. I had to go to the bathroom and walk around before we could see anything. Then clear as day we could see that we were having a little boy. The technician didn't even have to say anything before I could see he was a boy. The feelings that flooded over me are indescribable. On the way home Sam and I both said that his whole life flashed before our eyes. The most surprising thing was how emotional Sam was. I have seen Sam cry before but never over something happy. EVER! Not even on our wedding day or when he proposed, or when I told him I was pregnant. But when he found out we are having a boy something happened to him. He was not sobbing or anything, but he definitely cried. It was amazing. To Sam having a boy is a way bigger responsibility for him. Can I just say that it was adorable and I love him even more than ever?

So we are having a sweet baby boy! Now we can finally start really preparing. I have a huge list of things for Sam to do that is keeping him very busy. We have moved everything out of our office, got rid of the piano from the basement, bought a new TV stand, moved our ridiculous cat door, and now Sam is painting the nursery!

I have to admit that having a boy is way more terrifying than having a girl. I know how to take care of a girl. I know what to do for a girl and what her life will be like when she grows up. I have NO idea what to do with a boy. This is Heavenly Father's way of giving me a good challenge but I am ready and excited to take it on! Now that I know he is a boy it just feels so right. I had been telling myself it was a girl for so long but I have felt from the beginning that he was a boy. I am learning this mother's intuition thing already.
20 Week Ultra Sound

He is definitely a boy!

Me 20 weeks pregnant, finally showing a real bump!

Overall thoughts so far at 22 weeks:


  • I think I am pretty lucky and have had a relatively uneventful, comfortable pregnancy, but I am a total paranoid person about any sickness, pain, discomfort, etc. I am learning to cope.
  • I am starting to get annoyed with the typical questions like "How are you feeling?" or "What are you going to name the baby?" or "Are you excited?" I know people mean well, and I know I have asked (and will ask in the future) these same questions, but they are annoying.
  • I have had about 2 or 3 people touch my belly and I didn't really care
  • At 21 weeks I started feeling nauseous and very tired again and that is not cool
  • Baby kicks are the most wonderful feeling! I first felt them for sure on our cruise at 19 weeks and Sam felt him kick for the first time last night on July 13th!
  • I am starting to feel a little anxiety about giving birth and have a fear of pre-term labor, even though I am really low risk and it is an irrational thought.
  • I have only gained about 5 pounds (that is after losing about 3 pounds)
  • Fruit is by far my favorite food as well as corn on the cob
  • I have found that everyone wants to give me a lot of advice that they are just sure it the best way to do things. Some is good, some is different...
  • We have 3 top names but we are going to wait until he is born to decide for sure: Gavin, Reid, and Matthew. 
Overall, I can admit that pregnancy is not my favorite thing in the world but I realize it is completely worth it. Every time I feel a little kick I feel so grateful for this experience. I am so lucky to have such a supportive partner in Sam and for being well taken care of. We are halfway there! I can do this!


4 comments:

  1. Matthew--what a fabulous name :) You look so beautiful, friend! That dress is just the cutest on you with your little adorable bump. I can't wait to meet your precious little guy! Yay for being over halfway done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of advice, I forgot to give you those books. I will have to give them to you the next time I see you. And your baby bump is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up kayla. you're just so real and honest and say it how it is, and don't care and i love that. pregnancy isn't my favorite thing either. i also get annoyed at the constant same questions from people (but i get it and i too ask these questions to others so whatever). that's neat that sam has already been able to feel him kick! makes it even more exciting for them i think! i've been feeling boy all along with mine too - mother's intuition is a real thing! but we'll see (i go tomorrow!!). i also feel like your baby bump is tiny and so so cute and i am huge ha. we'll have to get together and take a bump picture ;) love the updates kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mara I am so excited for you! Good luck at your appointment! And Rachel I do want those books. I kept forgetting when I came to your house both times.

    ReplyDelete