Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas turned out just fine after all.

After all my stress about getting ready for Christmas and mustering up whatever Christmas magic I could, it all turned out great despite my worrying. I managed to get up a cute little tree and some stockings.

And that is about it for decorations. On Christmas Eve we had a small dinner with my sister Rebekah's family and actually watched about half of the movie Rad that my brother in law Sean found on Youtube. Nothing says Christmas like a good 80's movie. 


On Christmas day we woke up and opened the presents we got for each other and the gifts my parents spoiled us with. We always say we are sticking to a strict budget but we end up spoiling each other. I did not really even create a Christmas wish list because life has just been busy and I have not been thinking about it that much. Sam was so sweet and for like the last 6 months he had been creating a list of things I had mentioned that I wanted or would like to have. So even though I did not really give him any ideas he surprised me so many cute and wonderful things. What meant more than the presents did was how thoughtful they were. That is what makes presents great. 


After a quick breakfast we headed over to Sam's parents. We got to talk to Sam's little brother Joe who is on a mission in Ohio. We got to talk to Joe for about 2 hours! We talked with him through facetime so it was cool to actually get to see him. I think he was a little homesick but he is doing great and is starting to become more and more comfortable as a missionary. Since most of my family was all gone somewhere else we just spent the day with Sam's family. We ate delicious food and we were thoroughly spoiled by Sam's parents. We watched a classic Christmas movie and just lounged most of the day. Pretty much all of us were sick so it was nice to just relax.


Overall it was a pretty great Christmas. I had a big realization that even if I do not do any of the normal traditions I love about Christmas, it will come anyways, and all you can do is just enjoy it. That is precisely what I did. Even though we were spoiled with things I really felt that this Christmas was not about the gifts at all. I realize that is really cliche but it is just so true. I am mostly just grateful to have family (especially when you spend a holiday without all of them). I am grateful to have Sam's family to spend the day with. I am most grateful for Sam who has taken care of me while I have been sick this whole month. He is so thoughtful and just being with him made it a wonderful day. Now I get to look forward to my birthday, the new year, and getting back to normal, or at least the life I consider normal :)
Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. The real question is---how did you get your pictures to have that Harry Potter moving picture effect?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same question as Torrie...

    Also, I'm glad that Christmas was still magical, even if it was so different this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, how are your lights sparkling, it's cool. I'm glad you managed to have a good Christmas even if it was without me. j/k Sam is so sweet to keep track of all the things you wanted! What a good husband you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly the twinkling lights was just an option when I was picking which pictures to use. I think it is a thing my phone does. I am glad you all liked it.

    ReplyDelete