Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I am bad at blogging

So let's just face it. I am a horrible blogger. I try to take inspiration from other people, but I just can't seem to keep up with this thing. So while I continue to keep posting blogs, I make no promised of how frequent. Part of the reason is that I have been crazy busy as of late. I have started teaching 5th grade and it has sure kept me on my toes. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I showed up to work and the office told me that the teacher I am long term subbing for was going into labor. Luckily she had prepared me pretty well so I was able to just pick up and take over the class. Really it is going well, but there is just this weird transition phase where I am trying to get all the grading that she left caught up (something I did over the weekend with the help of wonderful Sam). Also she didn't really leave me lesson plans, which is totally ok, but I have never taught 5th grade before so sometimes I just feel like, what the heck is going on? It's not my ideal teaching situation, but I am beginning to think there is no such thing. So I have been busy, and to top it all off we have end of level testing this week. I just hope I don't totally ruin the kid's test scores with my lack of preparing them. So far we have one test down with no major headaches.

I feel like since I have taken over this class life has gone by way to fast! Every day cruises by and it is 5 pm before I know it and I still have mountains of things to do. When I get home I make dinner and after that it feels like it is time for bed already. The thing is that even though I am tired and busy and I feel like I never get to see Sam anymore, who also just started going full-time at his work, I am not that stressed out. I am trying to learn to just relax and not get worked up over every little thing that happens at school. That does not mean I don't get worked up over things... just not school things. This experience has taught me a lot about how to be a teacher and is so so so much better than student teaching. So life is busy, but life is good. Sam is done with school for the semester, my sister Bethany is coming to visit for 2 weeks today, my neice Leah  gets baptised on Saturday, the weather is warm, my garden is weeded, I have a husband that does dishes and takes out the trash (with some reminding). My life is good.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that the teaching is going well, and that you're liking it. We just finished up end-of-levels last week, and I hated it. Stupid standardized test---they're way more headache-inducing than almost anything else I have to do. It's totally true what you said about each day passing by so fast--that's one thing I like about teaching, actually. With my last job, I felt like each workday would never stop, but now I feel like I barely have time to catch my breath, which is kind of how I like it. Best of luck with the tests and with the end of school stuff. Hopefully we can get together soon and talk all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, your blog can just be whatever you want it to be. Don't worry about what other people do. I like to read it, however often. I'm glad things are going well at school, even though they are busy. At least your day isn't long and boring right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog just the way you do it! Wow, you are amazing. glad school is going well. i'm certain you are a wonderful teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog too. Let's do some fun things these next 2 weeks and then we can both blog about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are awesome!! picking up teaching a class at almost the end of the year with no notice. i couldn't do it! glad to hear the update, and glad life is busy but good :)

    ReplyDelete