Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Gavin at Three Months

Last week Gavin hit his three month mile stone! It feels like I just wrote about his two month mile stone... maybe that's because I did. So I am trying to write this sooner than later, because before I know it he will be four months!


Weight: 14.25 pounds
Height: 25 inches

Unfortunately turning 3 months old has come with his first time being sick. On Sunday when Gavin woke up he seemed to not be feeling very good. He wouldn't nurse for very long or at all. He was drooling, which he normally does not do. He has a 99.5 degree fever. He just slept in our arms all morning long before church, which he does not normally do. I could just tell he was not being himself. So we made it through part of church before going home. We ended up giving him tylenol before bed but he was still up for a while in the night, which is unusual now. So Monday morning I took him to the doctor and sure enough he had a terrible sore throat. It was so red that the doctor had him tested for strep, which is pretty unheard of for an infant. Then of course later that day I started feeling sick and so for the past 3 days we have just been two sickies together while Dad has taken care of us.


Other than being sick, things are starting to get a little bit easier with Gavin. Right when he was born and I was really struggling, people kept saying just wait until he is 3 months, it will get easier. Well when they said that I wanted to punch them in the face, but of course they were right. It is amazing how quickly Gavin is changing.

Gavin has officially started rolling over from tummy to back. He has only done it about 3 times but he is learning. He is getting a pretty flat head in the back so we are trying to boost up his tummy time. It is hard because we really do follow safety rules and sleep him on his back. And when a baby sleeps 75% on his back every day, how do you avoid the flat head? Hopefully it will start rounding out the more he learns to sit up. Gavin still loves bath time and warm water. We took him swimming for the first time on Saturday to the pool, which now I feel bad about because he was probably already sick. He kind of liked it. The water was a lot colder than I thought it would be and it was super crowded so he kept getting splashed in the face. He lasted about 15 minutes before he started screaming. So far Gavin has slept through the night twice! Of course I did not sleep through the night because going that long without nursing is a little uncomfortable. Most of the time Gavin only wakes up once in then night to nurse. Honestly what usually wakes him up is having to poop. He really is becoming a good little sleeper. Gavin is learning how to hold toys. Mostly we just put them in his hand and he grips it for a few minutes. He is getting so big. His best feature right now are definitely his cheeks. I think they make him look chubbier than he really is. Of course, he is pretty chubby, but really he is just big. He is broad and tall like his dad. Already it is hard to hold him for a long time because my arms get tired. He is starting to see further and further. It is so fun to see his face light up when he sees you or hears your voice. One of my favorite things when I get him up for the day after his morning nap is that he is so smiley. We just sing songs and do our ABC's and animal sounds. He loves it. His favorite sound is a monkey sound. Sometimes even when he is upset he can't help but give a little smile when he locks eyes with me. It is too cute. He makes the cutest cooing sounds. He is also starting to shed tears when he gets really upset, which is not very common. There is nothing more sad than a single baby tear running down his cheek. He has become a lot more expressive of what he does and does not like. When he cries he does this crazy noise where it's like he is spitting. The more I am around other babies I realize that Gavin is not always so easy going, and you know? That's okay. I am not really easy going and so maybe he just has my personality. We are still dealing with gas and spit up issues, but they are not so bad. I am still off dairy and that is still not fun, but oh well. Hopefully we get through this first sickness and can get back to a routine of some sort.


Gavin is in such a fun and cute stage. It is so difficult for me to leave him and go to work every day. I know he is in good hands, but I feel so guilty. I have been having a lot of struggles with feeling like a good mom, but when I see his sweet smile, or when he holds my hand while he nurses, or when he rests his sleepy head on my shoulder that makes it all worth it. I just love my little Gavin.


2 comments:

  1. Going to work is hard!!!! I just started back yesterday. I don't know that it gets easier, but it just becomes routine and everyone kind of just gets used to it. When you're all feeling better, let's play 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! And I'm so glad to see that he's getting better at sleeping through the night for you--it really does make all the difference in the world when you don't feel like a zombie all the time. Yay for the 3-month mark!

    ReplyDelete